Dental Implants, the “Gold Standard” for replacing missing teeth
When you lose teeth, it can impact your smile, chewing and speaking ability, oral health, how you perceive yourself, and so much more. That’s why it’s important to consider tooth replacement options as soon as possible. At Crestwood Dental Group in St. Louis, Missouri, we offer a permanent tooth replacement solution in the form of dental implants. Implants feel and function so much like natural teeth that they’re often called the “gold standard” for replacing missing teeth.
The dental implant process
It’s important to note that dental implants aren’t a quick fix for replacing missing teeth. It’s a process that can take up to six months or longer to complete. Once completed, however, you’ll have a permanent solution that will serve you for many years to come.
Dental implants consist of three components: a biocompatible titanium implant post that acts as the replacement tooth root, an abutment that holds the restoration in place, and a dental crown to restore your missing tooth. In the first part of the implant process, an oral surgeon will surgically insert the titanium post in your jawbone, after which it will fuse with the bone through a process called osseointegration over the next four to six months, providing a sturdy anchorage for the replacement tooth.
Once osseointegration is complete, Dr. Maxwell will place an abutment. The final step involves placing a crown on top of the abutment that acts as your replacement tooth. Dental implants can be used to replace a single tooth, several teeth, or an entire arch of teeth, depending on your unique situation.
Benefits of dental implants
When it comes to appearance, function, and quality, implants are the closest match to your natural teeth — that is why they’re called the “gold standard” for replacing missing teeth. With dental implants, you benefit from:
- Strength and stability since they are firmly embedded in your jawbone as a permanent fixture.
- No bone loss since they function as a tooth root to stimulate bone growth.
- Improved chewing and speaking ability as implants fill the gap left by missing teeth, making it easier to chew and speak without impediments.
- Improved oral health since they keep remaining teeth from shifting and make teeth easier to clean, reducing your risk of tooth decay and gum disease.
- Easy maintenance and care as they only require routine brushing, flossing, and professional dental cleaning to look and feel great.
- Long-lasting use as implants are permanent structures that can last a lifetime.
- A beautiful smile as dental implants blend in well with natural teeth to restore the beauty of your smile.
Dental implants near me in St. Louis, MO
If the thought of dental implants appeals to you, contact Dr. James Maxwell at (314) 463-5655 to learn more about this tooth replacement option. At Crestwood Dental Group, we offer exceptional dental implant services to residents of St. Louis, MO, and the surrounding communities. We look forward to serving you.
Back to Dental Implants Page