Dental Bridges Benefits You Need to Know About
If you live in St. Louis, you know the value of a beautiful smile. Many of us go through most of our lives with nice smiles. However, our teeth are impacted by wear and tear as we age, including staining, chips, gaps, tooth decay, and more.
Occasionally, an injury or accident and neglectful dental hygiene can cause dental problems. When these dental issues result in missing teeth, a new set of problems is created. Dental bridges are a perfect solution to all these problems.
The Problem with Missing Teeth
People lose teeth for many reasons, whether because of damage, decay, or extractions. Filling the gap is essential for esthetics, but also, many factors come into play when we experience tooth loss.
When you have a missing tooth, any of the following can occur.
- Shifting of remaining natural teeth, which can lead to complications and issues with your bite
- Increased cavity risk
- Speech difficulty
- Uncomfortable or inefficient chewing
- Bone loss
- Gum disease
What Are Dental Bridges?
Dental bridges are permanent appliances that can replace one or more missing teeth. A bridge comprises several pieces that fuse together to fill the space where your missing tooth used to be.
There are four types of dental bridges.
- Traditional fixed bridges: This dental bridge type is most commonly used.
- Resin-bonded dental bridges: These bridges are often used to replace front teeth.
- Implant-supported bridges: The bridge is placed over implants with implant-supported bridges.
- Cantilever bridges: These are not common anymore.
A dental bridge is a more permanent solution than traditional dentures. Equally important, they require much less maintenance and daily care because the bridge is cemented to your existing teeth.
When used with dental crowns, you can have your gorgeous smile back in no time.
Dental Bridge Benefits
Dental bridges offer several different benefits.
- Your natural smile is restored.
- Dental bridges restore your normal speaking ability.
- Facial structure is maintained, which can help prevent bone loss in the jaw near the extraction site.
- Chewing becomes more efficient.
- Adjacent teeth won’t move into the spot left empty by your missing tooth.
How do you know if you’re a good candidate for a dental bridge? These factors can help you decide.
- You’re missing one or more of your natural teeth.
- You are in good overall health.
- You can more easily support the bridge if you have a strong bone structure.
- Practicing good oral hygiene ensures you’re a good candidate for a dental bridge.
- Candidates for dental bridges should have good oral health.
When you practice good oral hygiene, your bridge will last much longer.
Dental Bridges in St. Louis
Are you ready to learn more about your options with dental bridges? Get in touch with Dr. James Maxwell and the team at Crestwood Dental Group in St. Louis. You can request an appointment online or call us at (314) 463-5655 (314) 463-5655, and we will answer all your questions.
Share this Article
Back to General Dentistry Page