A Great Way to Replace Missing Teeth with Natural-Looking Bridges
Your teeth were designed to work together for biting, chewing, speaking, and, of course, smiling. When teeth go missing, it can impair your ability to perform these tasks and lower your quality of life. Dr. James Maxwell can help restore your smile with natural-looking bridges at Crestwood Dental Group in St. Louis, Missouri. Dental bridges can improve your ability to eat and speak and give you back a winsome smile.
Effects of Losing Teeth
Losing one or more teeth can affect the health and performance of all your teeth to some extent. Adjacent teeth may shift to fill the gap of missing teeth, altering your bite and causing problems with chewing. Misaligned teeth are also more challenging to clean, putting you at risk of developing cavities or gum disease. Losing front teeth can ruin your smile, making you self-conscious about your appearance. A dental bridge can eliminate these problems and restore your confidence and self-esteem.
Types of Bridges
A dental bridge is, in essence, prosthetic teeth, aka pontics, that bridge the gap of missing teeth to restore your smile. These prosthetic teeth are bonded onto dental crowns placed on adjacent healthy teeth or dental implants to hold them in place. The most common types of bridges are:
- Traditional fixed bridge – composed of ceramic, metal, or porcelain fused to metal material. The bridge attaches to crowns on adjacent teeth for support.
- Maryland dental bridge – a viable option for restoring lost front teeth. Composed of ceramic or porcelain fused to the metal material, this bridge bonds to adjacent teeth using a metal framework for support.
- Implant-supported bridge – similar to a traditional fixed bridge but supported by implants.
Dental Bridge Process
A comprehensive dental exam by Dr. Maxwell and our team can determine if a fixed bridge is the best option for you to restore lost teeth. If so, we’ll outline a treatment plan.
For a traditional fixed bridge, we’ll start by shaving off some of the enamel on your abutment teeth to accommodate the crowns. Next, we’ll take impressions of your teeth and mouth to custom-design a bridge that fits comfortably and closely resembles the shape, size, and color of your natural teeth for a natural-looking appearance. The process may take multiple dental visits to ensure your new teeth fit and function correctly and look their best.
Request an Appointment
Benefits of a Fixed Dental Bridge
In addition to restoring the beauty of your smile, natural-looking bridges can:
- Restore your ability to bite, chew, and speak
- Provide facial support to enhance your appearance
- Improve your bite to minimize wear and tear on your teeth
- Prevent healthy teeth from shifting
Dental Bridges Cost
Dental bridge treatment costs vary depending on the work required to restore your smile. By offering payment options for this and other dental procedures, we make it easy for our patients to obtain the dental work they need.
To schedule a consultation for dental bridge treatment, contact Crestwood Dental Group, St. Louis, Missouri, at (314) 463-5655.
Share this Article
Back to General Dentistry Page